Monday, June 3, 2013

Now You See Me (2013)

Director: Louis Leterrier

Starring: Mark Ruffalo, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Melanie Laurent, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Come in close, because the more you think you see, the easier it'll be to fool you.

Plot: An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.


My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? No.

NOW YOU SEE ME is almost too clever for its own good.  There's an awful lot of flash and the magic is fun but it's got more distraction/misdirection than it really needs.  It's also quickly paced and while you do feel that it's almost two hours long, it does move quickly.  I'm a fan of many in the cast so it's fun to see some familiar faces.  Ruffalo is always fun and the rest of the cast does a fine job but the MVP for me is Morgan Freeman.  He's in full-on smile and playful mode and that's the Morgan Freeman I like most.  The end did catch me by surprise.  It was plausible and it didn't feel like a WTF so I was down with it.  I'm a huge magic fan so I welcome movies that incorporate it and in a realistic way although some of the tricks in this film rely way too much on a gazillion things falling into place without a hitch.  Still, it's entertaining and the cast makes it worth your time even if the story needs a little more refinement.

No comments:

Post a Comment