Sunday, June 23, 2013

Grand Slam (1967)

Director: Giuliano Montaldo

Starring: Janet Leigh, Robert Hoffmann, Klaus Kinski, Riccardo Cucciolla, George Rigaud, Adolfo Celi, Edward G. Robinson, Jussara, Miguel Del Castillo, Luciana Angiolillo, Valentino Macchi, Anny Degli Uberti, Aldo Bonamano

More info: IMDb

Tagline: These men are in... for the crime of their lives.

Plot: After retirement, Professor James Anders presents criminal Mark Milford an elaborate plan to rob a diamond company in Brazil with a crew of professionals. The men assemble in Rio de Janeiro and run in to an unanticipated problem: a new alarm system called Grand Slam 70.


My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Featured on Stephen Romano Presents Shock Festival (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

Ugh. This is the first Edward G. Robinson picture I'll never watch again.  It's not because of him, although he's not quite up to snuff as he usually is.  He's only in it for a few minutes at the start and then he's back for the final few minutes.  What's in between is sometimes fun and often bland and dull.  I recall a lack of score which hurt except during the actual heist.  There was very little sound and I really dug it.  Then there's the end.  Oh, boy.  It's so pathetic that final few seconds.  I'm not going to spoil it but I will say that it's way too "oops" and lighthearted for my taste.  I didn't need whimsy at the end of this.  Sorry, Eddie.  He'll always be one of my all-time favorite actors.  I love that guy, just not this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment