Sunday, June 23, 2013

Time Piece (1965)

Director: Jim Henson

Starring: Jim Henson, Enid Cafritz, Dennis Paget, Jim Hutchinson, Barbara Richman, Diana Birkenfield, April March, Sandy Patterson, Jerry Juhl, Frank Oz, Don Sahlin

More info: IMDb


Plot: Dislocation in time, time signatures, time as a philosophical concept, and slavery to time are some of the themes touched upon in this nine-minute, experimental film, which was written, directed, and produced by Jim Henson-and starred Jim Henson! Screened for the first time at the Museum of Modern Art in May of 1965, Time Piece enjoyed an eighteen-month run at one Manhattan movie theater and was nominated for an Academy Award for outstanding short subject.


My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? At 9 minutes long, sure.

Besides being a curiosity that Jim Henson made this before we all knew what Muppets were, it's 9 minutes of weird, quirky and fun.  I'm sure I'll get more out of it as far as what it meant and all the more I see it.  Watching it for the first time, I was just going along for the ride and soaking up the sound and visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment