Saturday, June 8, 2013

Batman Forever (1995)

Director: Joel Schumacher

Starring: Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Nicole Kidman, Chris O'Donnell, Michael Gough, Pat Hingle, Drew Barrymore, Debi Mazar, Elizabeth Sanders, Rene Auberjonois, Jon Favreau

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Courage now, truth always....

Plot: Batman must battle Two-Face and The Riddler with help of an amourous psychologist and a young circus acrobat who becomes his sidekick, Robin.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No, and you can thank Jim Carrey for that...or maybe I should.

I'd heard this one was bad but I didn't believe it...until I saw it.  Woof.  I'm actually very OK with the cheesiness of it all.  I laughed out loud many times and I'm sure most of the time I was meant to.  How could you not see this bit and bust out laughing?


I lost my shit when that happened.  There's lots to complain about but my biggest beef is the final act.  The look of it was too dark, the set had very little imagination as did the story, direction, action, etc.  I was somewhat on board with the picture for the first hour or so until it fell apart at the end.  I rather enjoyed myself until then.  Elliot Goldenthal's score is the best thing about the picture.  It's a worthy follow-up to the two excellent Danny Elfman scores from the first two films.  It seems ridiculous that I've waited all these years to finally getting around to seeing this one and the next one (I'm going to watch BATMAN & ROBIN (1997) next weekend).  And I've heard the sequel is even worse than BF.  I find that hard to believe because if it maintains the cheese like this one and delivers a reasonable finale then I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment