Monday, June 24, 2013

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012)

Director: Jay Oliva

Starring: Peter Weller, Ariel Winter, David Selby, Wade Williams, Carlos Alazaqui, Dee Bradley Baker, Paget Brewster, Maria Canals-Barrera, Cathy Cavadini

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Old heroes never die. They just get darker.

Plot: Batman has not been seen for ten years. A new breed of criminal ravages Gotham City, forcing 55-year-old Bruce Wayne back into the cape and cowl. But, does he still have what it takes to fight crime in a new era?


My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

NICE!  Except for the first half dozen episodes of the the 1992 Batman animated TV show (which was pretty damn good), I hadn't seen any of the other animated shows or movies.  I'm fucking impressed. It's really dark and I loved it.  I'm not crazy about how Batman is built like a monster tank but the voice work, animation, story, pacing and everything else was top notch.  The Bat/Supes fight at the end of part two was great.  Man, you really feel that Bruce's age is taking its toll on him.  Wow. Great score by Christopher Drake, too. I'll have to ask my Batman expert friends to throw me some more Bat bones and let me know what else is out there that's this good.  I'm motivated to finish the '92 series now.

No comments:

Post a Comment