Sunday, June 30, 2013

Jackboots on Whitehall (2010)

Directors: Edward McHenry & Rory McHenry

Starring: Ewan McGregor, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Timothy Spall, Tom Wilkinson, Alan Cumming, Dominic West, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Richard Griffiths, Richard O'Brien, Pam Ferris

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The smallest epic film you'll ever see!

Plot: World War II: What if Nazis seized London and all of England had to band together? When scarily campy Nazi leaders invade by drilling under the English Channel and up through the cobblestones on Whitehall, Churchill leaves his quiet retirement with a cat that looks like Hitler to issue a call to arms from his bunker under Downing Street. Chris, a young farm worker with large hands, rallies the village to fight the good fight -- including an alcoholic Vicar, the oldest man in the town, several idiots, a random Frenchman and Bobby Fiske, a swearing American who believes he's battling Russia.


My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I caught the trailer a while back and I just had to watch it.  Thirty minutes into this and I wasn't so positive.  It's got some nice moments of puppetry (like the opening plane battle - GREAT!) but it's stretched out to feature length.  My disappointment is partly my fault.  The trailer was fun, I'm a HUGE fan of TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE (2004) and I was hoping this would be along the same lines AND I watched this right after seeing FDR: AMERICAN BADASS (2012) which was friggin' hilarious.  That's a lot to live up to.  Like I said, this has its moments but they're mostly in some of the model work and action scenes and even then they're not consistent.  I'm really bummed that I didn't like this more.  Maybe I'm naive but considering it had a $6M budget I thought it should have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment