Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Beetlejuice (1988)

Director: Tim Burton

Starring: Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Annie McEnroe, Maurice Page, Hugo Stanger, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones, Winona Ryder, Dick Cavett, Robert Goulet

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Say it once... Say it twice... But we dare you to say it THREE TIMES

Plot: A couple of recently deceased ghosts contract the services of a "bio-exorcist" in order to remove the obnoxious new owners of their house.


My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

It's been a long time since I saw this last and partly because I wasn't that big of a fan.  For some reason I remember it having far too many scenes with a lack of score behind it.  [Danny Elfman was about to emerge into his golden age.]  I was bored...but not this time.  I really dug it.  I must have been in some mood way back when because this is a fun flick.  Michael Keaton is a scream and I'd love to see him revisit that character again (which is possible since he's behind so much makeup).  The ONLY thing I don't care for is the ending.  It's too 'cute' and typical Hollywood.  I'm talking about the floating Winona Ryder song and dance number bit.  Burton did the same thing in ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2011) and it bugged the bejesus out of me then, too.  Outside of that, it's all good, Buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment