Monday, June 24, 2013

Sound of My Voice (2011)

Director: Zal Batmanglij

Starring: Christopher Denham, Nicole Vicius, Brit Marling, Davenia McFadden, Kandice Stroh, Richard Wharton, Christy Meyers, Alvin Lam, Constance Wu, Matthew Carey, Jacob Price

More info: IMDb


Plot: Peter (Denham) and Lorna (Vicius), a couple and documentary film making team, infiltrate a mysterious group led by an enigmatic young woman named Maggie (Marling). Intent on exposing her as a charlatan and freeing the followers from her grip, Peter and Lorna start to question their objective and each other as they unravel the secrets of Maggie’s underworld.


My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

I popped this one in at the request of a very good friend.  It's a more quiet film than I'm used to and I liked it.  I wasn't keen about the ending at first but I came around to it the more I thought about it and this is a picture that can give you more than what the 85 minutes throw at you.  It stayed with me.  The performances are great as is the story and everything else that's involved.  I actually saw this a few weeks before I was at Sundance earlier this year watching Batmanglij & Marling's latest film (with a similar theme but very different), THE EAST (2013).  After watching that one I thought more on my experience watching SoMV and I liked it even more.  After contemplating the actions of the ending, it became less ambiguous and I leaned from one direction and settled on the other.  It's probably not a picture that you've heard of but you should check it out if you find the trailer or premise the least bit interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment