Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System (2010)

Director: ???

Starring: Planets and shit, Laura Danly, Alex Filippenko, Clifford Johnson, Greg Laughlin, Amy Mainzer, Erik Thompson

More info: IMDb

Plot: The seven wonder of our solar system are discussed: Enceladus' geysers, Rings of Saturn, Jupiter's Great Red Spot, the Asteroid Belt, Mars' Olympus Mons, the Surface of the Sun, and planet Earth.

My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably.

I have the entire series on blu-ray and I recently bought this separate disc only because I now have a 3D TV.  Reality-based outer space + 3D = count me in.  Like the series (which satisfies my need to learn about the Universe) this episode is slick and flashy.  I prefer straight up facts and I don't need lots of gee-whiz graphics and noises to keep me entertained.  You can see where they were definitely influenced by Carl Sagan's AMAZING series from 30 years ago, COSMOS (1980).  Anyway, it's neat seeing planets, moons, asteroids and other miscellaneous space stuff in 3D.  Unfortunately (again) the 3D teeters between good and poor.  I'll still give it a spin someday but I'll also be better prepared to not expect so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment