Saturday, January 5, 2013

Yog: Monster from Space (1970)

Director: Ishiro Honda

Starring: Akira Kubo, Atsuko Takahashi, Yukiko Kobayashi, Kenji Sahara, Yoshio Tsuchiya

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Spewed from intergalactic space to clutch the planet earth in its...terror tentacles!

Plot: A space probe is infiltrated by alien beings and then crashes on a remote Pacific atoll. A group planning to build a resort hotel land on the island and discover it to be inhabited by giant mutant monsters created by the aliens in an attempt to conquer the world.

 

My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? I think so.

#15 on SCI-FI TRAILERS VOLUME 9 & 10 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

Color me surprised.  I liked it.  It’s a non-Godzilla man-in-a-rubber-suit Japanese monster movie that’s pretty damn entertaining.  There’s lots of monster action (there’s even some monster-on-monster stuff at the end – a giant crab vs. a giant turtle and when the turtle falls on its back, hilarious!) and the special effects (model work, etc) are lots of fun.  Akira Ifukube (composer of gobs of Godzilla pictures and then some) delivers a good score and the acting is good, too.  I was shocked not to find the typical comic relief character usually thrown into these sorts of pictures and I was STUNNED that the English dubbing was very well done.  This is one Kaiju (Japanese term for this genre of giant monster movies) picture I’m likely to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment