Saturday, January 26, 2013

Escape from Tomorrow (2013)

Director: Randy Moore

Starring: Roy Abramsohn, Elena Schuber, Katelynn Rodriguez, Annet Mahendru, Danielle Safady, Alison Lees-Taylor

More info: IMDb

Plot: Jim White is an average American family man, mostly content to exist within his humdrum reality. At the tail end of a theme park vacation with his loving wife and two beautiful children, he is awakened by an unsettling phone call from his boss, who tells him that he has lost his job. Unwilling to disturb their sabbatical, Jim holds off on breaking the news to his family so they can enjoy their last day at the idyllic and beloved tourist destination. In desperate need of a distraction, he finds one amidst the long lines at the park—two attractive and fun-loving teenage girls. In his fractured state, Jim falls obsessively in love, making any excuse he can to follow them everywhere. Along the way, his paranoid psyche spirals even further downward, and the fine line between fantasy and reality becomes blurred.



My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again? Oh, fuck me I hope so!



This could very well be my favorite film at Sundance.  Moore filmed this at Disneyworld and Disneyland without anyone at the parks knowing about it and without the prior consent of Disney.  This is a stunning and remarkable picture.  Filmed in black and white Moore has made a story filled with laughs, surrealism, fantasy, sci-fi and a heaping dash of creepy.  The ending is fantastic.  Abel Korzeniowski's score (specifically the orchestral, romantic main theme) moved me in a way I haven't felt by a score in a very long time.  This guy is at the top of my radar now and I'm going to watch for his films (same with director Moore). Due to the legal issue that's going to come up with Disney, I'm sure this will never see the light of day.  I'm sure there'll never be a DVD of this.  I sincerely hope that I am able to get a copy somehow so that I can show this to anyone that will give me 104 minutes.  I'm beside myself.  This is a remarkable film and one that refreshes my love for cinema.  And for what it's worth, the four people that I knew and saw it with LOATHED it and couldn't wait to scram.

No comments:

Post a Comment