Saturday, January 5, 2013

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

Director: Joe Berlinger

Starring: Kim Director, Jeffrey Donovan, Erica Leerhsen, Tristine Skyler, Stephen Barker Turner

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Evil Doesnt Die.

Plot: To cash in on all of the "real world" hype of the events in the first film, a man from Burkitsville, Maryland opens a "Blair Witch Hunt" tour, which shows patrons various locations from the original film. A bunch of college students decide to take the tour, and wind up in Rustin Parr's house. There, they decide to camp for the evening, but in the morning, they realize they didn't sleep and they don't remember anything that happened the previous night. From there, they go back to town, and discover that something...or someone has come with them.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No need.

I was hunkered down and ready for the shitfest everyone said this was.  Maybe it's a good thing to purposefully lower your expectations.  I don't know but I did like this picture a lot more than I expected.  One thing that surprised me was how much I liked the young actors/characters.  That's probably the fault of the actors doing a much better job than you'd expect.  They came across as regular, real people that behaved and reacted as real people do.  Now, there was some acting going on but in a lot of scenes (like when they camped and got wasted) they came across as natural characters.  The opening half hour or so was very strong (and funny - the townspeople of Birkettsville were great) and it starts to lag by the time you get to the finale which seemed a little forced, but I liked it.  THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999) was great.  I really enjoyed it.  This follow-up is a different film, doing its own thing so don't expect a repeat.  I didn't and my experience was better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment