Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Hobbit (1977)

Directors: Jules Bass & Arthur Rankin Jr.

Starring: Orson Bean, Richard Boone, Hans Conried, John Huston, Otto Preminger, Cyril Richard, Brother Theodore, Paul Frees

More info: IMDb


Plot:  A homebody hobbit in Middle Earth gets talked into joining a quest with a group of dwarves to recover their treasure from a dragon.

 

My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Man, I haven't seen this in probably 30 years or better.  It sure does bring back memories.  I don't know how it holds up for people watching it these days for the first time but for me, back in the late 70s/early 80s, this was it.  Great fantasy.  I read the book all those years ago and until a few weeks ago this was all we've had to watch for this story.  I love it.  The voice casting is great and you're not going to get much better than John Huston as Gandalf.  If you're familiar with the stop motion animated TV holiday films of Rankin & Bass then you'll notice this feels an awful lot like them (something else I get nostalgic for).  

No comments:

Post a Comment