Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Rambler (2013)

Director: Calvin Reeder

Starring:  Dermot Mulroney, Lindsay Pulsipher, Natasha Lyonne, James Cady, Scott Sharot

More info: IMDb

Plot:  Upon release from prison, a solitary man known only as “the Rambler” embarks on a mysterious journey en route to reconnecting with his long-lost brother. Traversing treacherous back roads, lost highways, and isolated small towns, he unearths a multitude of bizarre and wickedly depraved slices of Americana.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nope.


I can handle surreal.  ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW (2013) is a fine example when the surreal can be understood and enhance a picture. But this entry at the Sundance Film Festival had me wondering WTF all the way through.  I got some of it but there was enough left over that it just didn't make any sense.  I LOVED the bits with the old man and the dream recorder.  That shit was funny.  Lots of exploding heads (and boobs which is a first for me).  Even though there were some batshit bits tossed in, it still held my attention.  Unfortunately the director was unavailable for a Q&A (he had to split town for a previous engagement) but the producers and some of the cast and crew were there.  Despite earnest questions from the audience to try and make sense of it, the folks on stage weren't able to help us.  Hell, they didn't even know and put their trust completely into the writer/director.  A few years ago he brought a short to Sundance of the same name and there was a lot of interest in seeing him turn it into a feature.  I'd like to see the short but I can't justify watching this again.  There are just too many movies out there to get to.


No comments:

Post a Comment