Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Artist (2011)

Director: Michel Hazanavicius

Starring: Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller, Missi Pyle, Beth Grant, Ed Lauter, Joel Murray, Malcolm McDowell

More info: IMDb

Plot: A silent movie star meets a young dancer, but the arrival of talking pictures sends their careers in opposite directions.


My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Want to know how behind I am in writing up movies I've seen?  I saw this in the theater a year ago.  Great flick.  I was floored.  Not only is this a fun movie that's able to pull off being a silent film but it also looks and feels (though not always) like it was made 90 years ago.  It's funny and touching.  I applaud everyone involved for pulling this off.  Did it deserve Best Picture last year?  I can't say with certainty but I was very pleased it won.  I laughed and I cried.  The scene where Peppy (Bejo) puts on Valentin's (Dujardin) coat was brilliant.  The two leads were magnificent.  What a delightful picture.  What a lot of short sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment