Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Man Called Django! (1971)

Director: Edoardo Mulargia

Starring:  Anthony Steffen, Stelio Candelli, Glauco ONorato, Chris Avram, Emeralda Barros, Donato Castellaneta, Benito Stefanelli

More info: IMDb


Plot: Django is on the trail of some renegade outlaws who raped and killed his wife. En route, he rescues a horse thief from an impromptu hanging. He discovers the man knows who committed the murder. The men team up and head west for revenge.

 

My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yes, but not before any of the few hundred Spaghetti Westerns I haven't seen yet.

Geez, it seems like forever since I watched a Spag.  I was pleasantly surprised with this one. For a flick with a run of the mill revenge plot it's pretty good.  There's an awful lot of killing, nearly all of it by Django.  I was also surprised that the lead's name was actually what the poster said it was.  After Franco Nero's 1966 hit, DJANGO, there were a slew of Spaghetti Westerns that tried to capitalize on the Django name by including it in their posters when most of them didn't even have anyone by that name in the actual picture.  Anyway, this one moves along nicely, never really hanging around long enough to lose interest but after it's over, it doesn't have anything that stands out, making it all that great.  I did like the ending.  I really didn't know which way it was going.  I knew what Django had to do but I wasn't sure if he was going to go through with it or not.  It's on a double feature DVD from Timeless Media Group with DJANGO AND SARTANA'S SHOWDOWN IN THE WEST (1970) and for less than $10.  Not a bad deal at all when you consider they both have nice widescreen prints and dubbed in English.




No comments:

Post a Comment