Sunday, January 6, 2013

44 Inch Chest (2009)

Director: Malcolm Venville

Starring: Ray Winstone, Ian McShane, John Hurt, Tom Wilkinso, Stephen Dillane, Joanne Whalley, Melvil Poupaud, Steven Berkoff

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Measure of Revenge

Plot: Colin is in agony, shattered by his wife's infidelity. However, he has friends who do more than stand by -- they kidnap the wife's French lover and hold him prisoner so that Colin can restore his manhood with revenge. A kangaroo court takes place and as the situation escalates Loverboy's life hangs in the balance as Colin wrestles with revenge, remorse, grief and self pity, all the while egged on by his motley crew of friends who just want him to get on with it so they can get down the pub.


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

What a cast!  Getting Winstone, McShane, Hurt and Wilkinson in the same picture is all it took to get my butt in a seat.  It's a stagy picture, as much of it takes place in an apartment.  You could put these cats on a couch reading cereal boxes and I'd watch it.  Aside from a stellar cast, it's not really all that engaging.  I didn't feel sucked into it in any way.  The ending was anti-climactic (I kind of figured it was going to go that way) and I'm not against endings like this it's just that it left me unsatisfied as if to be unrewarded for sitting through the previous 90 minutes, ya know?  Anyway, rather than watch this picture again I'll pop in any number of these actor's other films that I haven't seen.  Geez, now I'm bumming myself out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment