Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sundance Film Festival Day 3

Just to clarify this is for Saturday, January 19.

Today started with TOUCHY FEELY which wasn't a bad way to start the day.  But then it was BREATHE IN with Guy Pearce and Felicity Jones.  GREAT flick but it will make a lot of folks uncomfortable.  Uncomfortable seems to be a theme at this year's festival.  While I'm in line to see it I strike up a conversation with a British gentleman standing next to me.  We talked for probably 15 minutes before I exchange introductions. When I asked him if he was here as a fan or if he was in the industry he told me he was the co-founder and CEO of IMDb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How fucking cool was that?  We kept on chatting until it was time to be let into the show.  Then there's the movie and I loved it.

Fortunately the first two movies of the day were at the same theater but you still don't have any time to leave if you want to grab a bite to eat.  The food and drink offerings vary with the theater.  I'm not eating well and I often go a long time either without anything or eating shit.  I already feel like I've lost a couple of pounds in the four days I've  been here.  I'm not opposed to dropping the weight but it's not how I want to do it.  I feel like I need to eat a fat steak or something substantial. Anyway, after BREATHE IN it was off to the Egyptian Theater a few miles away for EL MARIACHI (1993) with Robert Rodriquez in attendance.  They didn't have anything but candy, cookies, sodas, water and beer so I had to keep starving.  The Q&A with RR was a blast.  I love that guy.  More on this hopefully soon when I get a chance to write up about the movies I'm watching without losing even more sleep than I am just to do this update.

Then we head over to the last flick of the night (I really wanted to go to the midnight premiere of KINK but I've got the Steve Coogan flick, THE LOOK OF LOVE, in the morning at 9), BLACKFISH.

Tomorrow (Sunday) it's THE LOOK OF LOVE, a decent meal for a change instead of seeing AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS (which I'll catch next week instead), THE EAST (Brit Marling's newest picture), STOKER (Chan-Wook Park's latest) and then a near-midnight screening of HELL BABY.  It's going to be another long day.  I'm lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment