Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Hills Run Red (2009)

Director: Dave Parker

Starring: Sophie Monk, Tad Higenbrink, William Sadler, Janet Montgomery, Alex Wyndham, Ewan Bailey, Danko Jordanov

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Trespassers will be slaughtered...

Plot: A group of young horror fans go searching for a film that mysteriously vanished years ago but instead find that the demented killer from the movie is real, and he's thrilled to meet fans who will die gruesomely for his art.


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

I watched this twice, two nights in a row with different friends.  Why?  I kept nodding in and out of sleep the first night and I had questions that needed to be answered.  The second time was a mixed bag because the questions were answered and some more crept up.  For the most part, I dug this flick.  There's lots of blood and boobs for the gore hounds and there's also a pretty good, original story.


THE HILLS HAVE SPOILERS...

Why did Tyler have to get Alexa off drugs?  Forget the fact that it could have killed her the way he did it (I think she was playing a ruse to get him to believe her) but that sequence wasn't necessary at all from where I'm sitting.

END OF SPOILERS...YARRRRRR!

One thing that helps this picture is that it's only 81 minutes long and there's not an awful lot of fat (one big exception is the scene mentioned above).  Once the shit hits the fan it's a blood fest.  The kills are fun and messy and the ending was satisfying, especially after the credits roll.  If you see it somewhere for $5 or less you probably won't be sorry you added it to your collection.  One thing this isn't is boring.  I'll chalk up the fact that I dozed off a couple of times the first time to a long day at work, a dark room and two fingers of bourbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment