Sunday, December 19, 2010

TRON: Legacy (2010)




Director: Joseph Kosinski

Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, Michael Sheen

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Game Has Changed.

Plot: Sam Flynn, the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn, looks into his father's disappearance and finds himself pulled into the same world of fierce programs and gladiatorial games where his father has been living for 20 years. Along with Kevin's loyal confidant, father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.


I've always been a big fan of TRON (1982) and I never cared either way if there was ever going to be a sequel or not. I'm glad there is one. What Disney & pals have made is a movie that is a very worthy follow-up to the ground-breaking first film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I wasn't let down at all. I'm stunned that they were able to pull off a logical and mature continuation of the story.


What's more is they didn't stunt cast it with crappy actors like Megan Fox or any other male/female flavor of the week. Hedlund as Flynn's son did a very nice job and Olivia Wilde has just been added to my list of women who need to have my babies. It doesn't matter that she was born two years before I graduated high school. I can overlook that. She was great. I particularly liked that she (nor Hedlund) did any of that typical Hollywood bullshit posing and macho shit and their one-liners were kept to a minimum. Oh, and look quick for an uncredited bit part for Cillian Murphey at the boardroom table. I thought it was really cool of him to do such a small part in a big budget film like this. The more I see of this guy the more he impresses me.


The effects are gorgeous. They kept the golly-gee-whiz factor from the original film and amped it up enough to stay true yet update it. The effects into the younger Jeff Bridges were great. There were only a couple of spots where you could tell and it was the movement of the lips that gave it away.


Daft Punk's score is quite good and a very nice fit. What shocked me was that none of the original themes were used. WTF? Wendy Carlos's score was incredible and I'm stunned that it was completely neglected. Maybe there was a rights issue or something. It seems that SOMETHING could have been done to throw us soundtrack fans a bone.


The 3D occurs only during the "inside the computer" portion of the film which is most of it and it's nice. It blows hard to have to drop ten bucks down on a matinee for it but it was worth it for a film such as this. I'm very choosy on what I see in 3D and this was the right choice. It just screamed for it. If you like the '82 film, don't wait for the DVD. Drop the extra lettuce to see it in the theater in 3D. You'll be glad you did. I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment