Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Almost Human (1974)




Director: Umberto Lenzi

Starring: Tomas Milian, Henry Silva, Laura Belli, Gino Santercole

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It doesn't matter how loud you scream.

Plot: A psychotic small-time criminal realizes that the everyday robberies, rapes and murders he commits aren't making him all that much money, so he figures to hit the "big time" by kidnapping the daughter of a rich man.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

I loves me some Umberto Lenzi pictures and it's always exciting to see one for the first time. Tomas Milian, on the other hand...I like him best when he's not over the top. When he's over the top it's borderline silly and it takes me out of the picture. I hate that. In ALMOST HUMAN he's doing it again but it's not as bad as some others. Henry Silva I just don't get. I'd swear I've seen him in something where I liked his performance but everything I've seen him in over the past few years he always looks like he's sleepwalking and phoning it in. Take those two out of the equation and I really dig what's left. I guess the 'grand gesture' thing is an Italian thing. Great story, they kill a kid (always a plus when a film maker has the balls to do that), lots of people die for no good reason and it sports another great Ennio Morricone score. All of that equals a very good Italian Poliziotteschi flick.


No comments:

Post a Comment