Monday, December 20, 2010

The Black Room (1935)




Director: Roy William Neill

Starring: Boris Karloff, Marian Marsh, Robert Allen

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Embraced by the Devil! Monster . . . his kiss the password to oblivion!

Plot: Ignoring an ancient prophecy, evil brother Gregor seeks to maintain his feudal power on his his Tyrolean estate by murdering and impersonating his benevolent younger twin.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yup.


THE BLACK ROOM is all kinds of devilish, Evil Karloff fun. Twice the fun, actually. Ahahahahaha. But seriously. It's a neat thriller/horror with great sets, music, photography and another great performance (or two) by Karloff...and it's all in a very tight 70 minutes. There's no fat on this one. There's lots of tension, too, and the ending is most satisfying and grim. It may have been twenty years since I last saw it but I can guarantee it won't be near that long of a wait again. I really dig this flick. It's my favorite Karloff performance. Netflix has got it so hop to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment