Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Breakfast Club (1985)


Director: John Hughes

Starring: Emilio Estevez, Paul Gleason, Anthony Michael Hall, John Kapelos, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy

More info: IMDb

Tagline: They only met once, but it changed their lives forever.

Plot: Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Once was fine.

Having graduated high school in '86 it's a crime that it took me 25 years to get around to watching it. Like a lot of movies, it's on my list and I'll get around to it eventually. I guess I didn't watch it way back when because it seemed like a typical stupid Hollywood movie. At the time I was more into movies like AMADEUS (1984), FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF (1986) or LADYHAWKE (1985).

So how did TBC fare for someone who should've seen it 25 years ago? Pretty good. I have to admit that I enjoyed it. I like how each of the 5 kids had their moment to shine. Did I choke up when they're all confessing near the end? Yeah. It was Anthony Michael Hall's story that did it. They painted these kids so broadly that I'm sure most of us can identify with one of them. This was fun and all but I'm a Ferris kind of guy. Ch. Chickachicahhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment