Sunday, December 19, 2010

Swingers (1996)


Director: Doug Liman

Starring: Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livinston

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Cocktails first. Questions later.

Plot: A look into the psyche of 20-something males stars Jon Favreau as struggling comedian Mike, whose pathetic love life prompts his Hollywood wannabe pals to pump up his nightlife and immerse him in cocktail culture. Vince Vaughn turns in a scene-stealing performance as Mike's smooth-talking friend Trent, a would-be actor who purports to be an expert in all matters of the opposite sex.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yup.

Damn, I love this movie. It's funny as hell. It was my introduction to the new-swing scene in the late 90s that lead to my fronting a band like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. I love it. Favreau and Vaughn are hilarious and their chemistry is magical. Their follow-up movie, MADE (2001) is very funny as well; plus it's got Peter Falk! SWINGERS has got TONS of great dialogue and set pieces that keep me coming back. Vegas, baby, Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment