Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Candy Snatchers (1973)




Director: Guerdon Trueblood

Starring: Tiffany Bolling, Ben Piazza, Susan Sennett, Brad David, Vince Martorano, Bonnie Boland, Jerry Butts

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It started as such a simple crime. For 16 year old Candy, dying would have been easier! Was a piece of Candy worth a fortune in diamonds?

Plot: With their eyes on a hefty ransom, three bungling kidnappers cart off the 16-year-old Candy and demand diamonds from her wealthy stepfather...only he doesn't want her back!



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah


This has got a GREAT story. The acting is not horrible but some of the casting could have been better. Something else that put me off was the light comedy. There were several spots where it was just too damn silly and it felt out of place. It gave it that TV movie of the week vibe. That and Robert Drasnin's score had that TV sound that bugs me. Turns out this was one of only 3 feature films he scored but he did A TON of TV shows and made for TV movies. My ears didn't deceive me.



There's a little mute boy that witnesses the kidnappers bury the girl (they made it so she can breathe). His story arc is great and the end of the film IS BALLS OUT INSANELY FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! I'm not going spoil anything because you need to see this and I've got to move on. In this age of remakes every week I'm flabbergasted that this hasn't been remade. If the ending were kept in tact and it were in the right hands, it could be an amazing flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment