Monday, September 6, 2010

Shock (1946)




Director: Alfred L Werker

Starring: Vincent Price, Lynn Bari, Frank Latimore, Anabel Shaw, Reed Hadley

More info: IMDB

Tagline: He never dreamed what it would all lead to...AND SHE DIDN'T CARE!

Plot: Janet Stewert checks into a hotel to meet her husband Paul who is returning from World War II. He is delayed and she witnesses a murder. Emotionally fragile Janet goes into shock and the hotel doctor calls in noted psychiatrist Dr. Cross, who realizes that Janet saw him murder his wife. To keep her from revealing what she knows, Cross convinces Paul to let him take her under observation at his sanitarium. There his lover, Nurse Jordan, helps to keep Janet medicated and confused. Can Janet convince anyone that she is not crazy before it's too late?



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? I suppose.

So I finished watching POLK COUNTY POT PLANE (1977) (it's on the 50-Movie Pack Drive-In Classics set) and the other film on that side of the disc was this one. Seeing that it was only 70 minutes long and it starred Vincent Price, I stuck around.




Wow! What a neat little film noir/crime thriller! I didn't know anything about it so when Janet witnesses a man kill his wife, which was neat, but when the hotel guy calls for a doctor to come over (she had fainted, see) and it's Dr. Cross, THE SAME GUY WHO HAD JUST KILLED HIS WIFE (!), I was riveted and glued to the set for the next hour. Great, satisfying payoff, btw. Brief review, sure, but I've gotta move on...

No comments:

Post a Comment