Monday, September 27, 2010

Frailty (2001)


Director: Bill Paxton

Starring: Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughey, Powers Boothe, Matt O'Leary, Jeremy Sumpter, Luke Askew

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There are demons among us

Plot: A man confesses to an FBI agent his family's story of how his religious fanatic father's visions lead to a series of murders to destroy supposed "demons."



My rating: 9.5/10

Will I watch it again? Religiously!

I remember getting the call from my sister (we don't have much in common movie-wise) saying she just caught this in the theater and that I juat HAD to see it. I hadn't even heard of it and when she mentioned Bill Paxton directed it I started to have my doubts. I couldn't have been more wrong.Sadly it didn't play in theaters here and if it did, it didn't last long. FRAILTY is one of the best modern thriller/horror films of my generation. Yeah, I know, that's a bold statement but have you seen it?

I'm not really going to go into spoiler territory because the less you know the more effective it is. I knew absolutely nothing and was better for it. I'm still surprised by how good it is and how well it holds up. I mean, shit! It's directed by Chet from WEIRD SCIENCE & Hudson in ALIENS! Paxton really proved he has what it takes to be a very competent and compelling film maker.

The performances all around are very good. I normally don't like McConaughey but here's holding back and quite reserved in this picture. Powers Booth needs to be in more movies... PERIOD! As you watch it you're horrified at what's going on and the paths the characters take are astonishing. Everything is going along nicely until the final minutes and then again in the final seconds. It's a jarring one-two upercut to the chops that will leave you stinging for days. This is probably my fifth or sixth viewing and it still holds up. I've badgered my friends to death to see it and everyone that does has a similar reaction, albeit not as enthusiastic as mine. My only regret is not being able to see it for the first time again and again and again. Oh, and when the day comes that I purchase an axe, I shall name it Otis.

No comments:

Post a Comment