Sunday, September 26, 2010

Public Enemies (2009)




Director: Michael Mann

Staring: Johnny Depp, Christian Bale

More info: IMDb

Tagline: America's Most Wanted

Plot: The Feds try to take down notorious American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd during a booming crime wave in the 1930s.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? I don't think so.

I went into this with above average expecttaions as Mann is an accomplished director and movies about depression era gangsters are right up my alley. Boy was I wrong. The only reservation I had since first hearing about the casting was Depp as Dillinger. I'm not buyin' it. He's wrong for the role. Sure, he's a good actor and one of the best out there but that doesn't make it right. Would you have put Tom Hanks or George Clooney in that part? I thought so.

Yeah, Depp looks just like the guy. Whatever.

The whole film was a misfire for me. I simply could not get into it. The more time I spent with Dillinger's gang, the more I wanted to see a movie about any of those guys instead of the one I was watching. Depp's performance is empty and bland. And Christian Bale? WTF? He used to be fantastic in everything he did. Here he's no better than a plethora of other actors. Seriously, practically anyone could have done that role with more weight than what he gave. Disappointing at best.

After seeing this in the theater, I seriously doubt I will ever watch it again. It just bored the piss out of me and it made me want to watch any number of other films based on these characters which, for me, are much more entertaining and interesting. I mean, have you seen Warren Oates as John Dillinger? THAT'S perfect casting. When you see him in DILLINGER (1973) you are left with the impression that his portrayal is as real as it gets and it's infinitely more gritty and entertaining than what Depp delivered.

I almost forgot about the ending. WTF with Dillinger whispering something in Purvis' ear with his dying breath and then Purvis telling Dillinger's girl in prison? Absolutely stupid and cliche. I honestly felt insulted...but then it's not like I hadn't be taking it for over two hours at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment