Friday, September 3, 2010

Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World (1973)


Director: Joseph McGrath

Starring: Jim Dale, Spike Milligan, Angela Douglas

More info: IMDB

Tagline: The Biggest Howl Ever Unleashed!

Plot: Military scientist Jeff Eldon works with animals in their labs. He also has a crush on fellow doctor Janine, who is working on growth hormone Project X. To help his roses Jeff `borrows' a little of project X but it is inadvertently fed to a lost dog, Digby. Whilst trying to hide the rapidly growing pooch, Jeff attracts the attentions of a couple of criminals who try to kidnap Digby for a circus attraction.



My rating: 3/10

Will I watch it again? No! Bad Dog! No!

#32 on Dusk to Dawn Drive-In Trash-o-Rama Show Vol. 1 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

This one and MATILDA (1978) were the two films I was kind of dreading from the trailer comp because when a comedy is bad...it's baaaaaad. On the flip side, I have vague memories of seeing these in the theater as a kid in the 70s. I recall very little of either and fortunately I didn't have any bad flashbacks or anything while watching them.









Woof! It's that bad. Besides the state-of-the-art special effects...


we get an amazingly dull and half-witted story. The actors are earnest enough but it's the ones who are playing it WAAAAAAY over the top that made me groan. I swear if I had kids and had to take them to see this dreck I'd drop them off at an orphanage and leave town. The only thing that I could appreciate were the cameos from some of my British TV favorites like...

Frank Thornton of ARE YOU BEING SERVED?

Henry McGee of THE BENNY HILL SHOW!

Bob Todd of THE BENNY HILL SHOW!

All three of these guys delivered the only gags I though were funny. OK, so the banana peel pratfall was great only because I can appreciate the artistry of that stunt. Go back up and watch that guy fall a few feet on his back. That's fucking impressive! I wouldn't do it. My life must not have much value to sit through crap like this. Funny...I don't feel like I've got low self esteem...

No comments:

Post a Comment