Monday, September 6, 2010

The Boondock Saints (1999)


Director: Troy Duffy

Starring Willem Dafoe, Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, Bily Connolly

More info: IMDB

Tagline: Brothers. Killers. Saints.

Plot: Two Irish brothers accidentally killed mafia thugs. They turned themselves in and were released as heroes. They then see it as a calling by God and started knocking off mafia gang members one by one. Willem Dafoe plays the detective trying to figure out the killings, but the closer he was to catching the Irish brothers, the more he thinks the brothers are doing the right thing.


My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Probably someday.

Good flick. I dig the story, music, performances et al but it does tend to get bogged down in its own pretentiousness every once in a while but by the time it's starting to wear thin, Billy Connolly shows up and it's ass kickin' time until the end. Outside of that and the preachy speech at the finale, it's a lot of fun and I can't remember a more enjoyable Willem Dafoe performance. He's so over the top it's ridiculously silly and fun and I loved the hell out of it. I haven't seen the sequel, although I hear it's not nearly as good but since Connolly is back, I'm on board for it. And then there's the documentary, OVERNIGHT (2003), about the writer/director Duffy. Apparently he's a right asshole through and through and the film chronicles, with footage, his meteoric rise and fall. It sounds interesting as hell but I'm not sure if I should see it before the sequel, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment