Sunday, September 5, 2010

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)


Director: Judd Apatow

Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Jane Lynch

More info: IMDB

Tagline: Better Late Than Never.

Plot: Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) has a pleasant life with a nice apartment and a job stamping invoices at an electronics store. But at age 40, there's one thing Andy hasn't done, and it's really bothering his sex-obsessed male co-workers: Andy is still a virgin. Determined to help Andy get laid, the guys make it their mission to de-virginize him. But it all seems hopeless until Andy meets small business owner Trish (Catherine Keener), a single mom.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yep!

You know how I know you're gay? You don't like this movie. Goddamn this flick's funny! I'm grateful for it for two reasons - it turned me on to Jane Lynch and Catherine Keener. Both of these women need to have my babies...in tandem. The story is hilarious yet touching and the tenderness with which Carrell and Keener's relationship is handled is sweet and endearing. But there's a flaw. With every story there has to be a conflict, right? Well, or so they say. We get two moments near the end where these two have a huge misunderstanding and both of them feel forced and that bugged the shit out of me. Why does there have to be a conflict? It got me to thinking about what movies I've seen that had not conflict and I couldn't think of any. There has to be some, right? What are they? Despite this beef, it's fucking hilarious. I'm surprised someone hasn't made THE 80-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN with Betty White...or would it be THE 90-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN?

No comments:

Post a Comment