Saturday, September 11, 2010

Shaft (1971)


Director: Gordon Parks

Starring: Richard Roundtree, Moses gunn

More info: IMDB

Tagline: The mob wanted Harlem back. They got Shaft...up to here.

Plot: John Shaft is the ultimate in suave black detectives. He first finds himself up against Bumpy, the leader of the Black crime mob, then against Black nationals, and finally working with both against the White Mafia who are trying to blackmail Bumpy by kidnapping his daughter. Killin' folks and bangin' broads ensue.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Shiiiiiiiiit!

#3 on Blaxploiteasin' (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


Goddamn this is a fun movie. I can't believe that as much of a movie freak I am I've never seen it until now. I feel ashamed. SHAFT kicks ass! The remake doesn't but this one sure does. Roundtree plays it cool and he seems to be the only grounded person in the film. Everyone else is either an exaggerated stereotype or somewhere in between.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Isaac Hayes' song is classic. I'm not bowled over by his score at times but it doesn't really matter. It's still a fun score and Hayes would go on to star in my favorite blaxploitation movie of all time, TRUCK TURNER (1974).

This cat's hysterical!

I loved the montage of Shaft hitting the streets, talking to people, making lots of calls to try and find some information. It's the kind of thing you don't see in detective films much and you just know that's what they spend most of their time doing. The bar scene where Shaft poses as a bartender and chats it up with the hired killers that are there to stake out his place is a fantastic scene with some great moments of dialogue. Goddamn Roundtree is smooth.


And after he's cleaned them up for the coppers, it's time for some lovin'!


I would have LOVED to have seen this in the theater way back when. I bet it was a total gas, especially with a black audience. That must have been special. Can you dig it?

No comments:

Post a Comment