Sunday, September 5, 2010

Donnie Darko (2001)


Director: Richard Kelly

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Patrick Swayze, Mary McDonnell, Drew Barrymore

More info: IMDB

Tagline: Life is one long insane trip. Some people just have better directions.

Plot: Troubled adolescent, Donnie Darko, receives a disturbing vision that the world will end in 28 days. With the help of various characters, including a 6 foot rabbit called Frank, he slowly discovers the mysterious physical and metaphysical laws that govern his life and that will lead up to the destruction of the universe.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Perhaps in another 7 or 8 years

It's been quite a while since the first time I saw this and I remember having to go online to figure out what the hell just happened. I just watched it again last night and I almost had to go online to figure out what the hell just happened. I had my own ideas but I just needed some confirmation and to fill in a few holes. I really dig the mood and the pacing of the film, the music choices are spot on and are used to great effect, and Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a fantastic, career making performance. There's really not anything to dislike, actually. The ending, as well as the entire film for that matter, is up for debate. I like that. There are many theories out there and, once you watch the movie, you can spend hours online reading about what everyone thinks. There are some interesting ideas tossed out there and you'll soon gravitate to one you like. That's what I did and I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment