Monday, August 16, 2010

Seven (1995)


Director: David Fincher

Starring: Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.

Plot: Police drama about two cops, one new and one about to retire, after a serial killer using the seven deadly sins as his MO.



My Rating: 9.5/10

Will I watch it again? Certainly.

This easily places in my top four serial killer movies of all time along with SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1990), ZODIAC (2007) (also by Fincher) and HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1986). HENRY beats them all because it's so dark and raw.


You've seen SEVEN (or SE7EN). Everybody's seen it. Not much to talk about then, is there? Fincher seemed to have pulled this one out of nowhere. I like the color scheme, Howard Shore's score, the cast (I do have a grievance with Pitt, though), the gruesomeness of it all, the uncompromising ending, Freeman's subtle and powerful performance, the works.

SILENCE OF THE SPOILERS...

There's really only a couple of minor things I would like to be different. I would have preferred the screen to go to black and roll credits with Pitt's killing you-know-who and I would have dialed back Pitt's performance. The more I see this the more he seems to be overdoing it to the point of annoyance. I don't mind his silliness so much as...well, take his climactic confrontation with John Doe. His constant looking at Doe and then shying away is starting to get on my nerves. I realize that all Fincher had to do was to cut a few of those but still. I just don't get the level of internal pain Pitt's going through like I would if that had been a better actor up there, that's all.






See how silly it looks?

END OF SPOILERS...YARRRRRR!

I can't leave without mentioning R. Lee Ermey. I love this guy in everything I've seen him in. My favorite Ermey moment in SEVEN is...



Not much else to say except I LOVE this movie. Now where's the super duper deluxe Blu-ray, damn it?

1 comment: