Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Ghost Ship (1943)


Director: Mark Robson

Starring: Richard Dix, Russell Wade, Edith Barrett

More info: IMDB

Tagline: MYSTERY TERROR!

Plot: Tom Merriam signs on the ship Altair as third officer under Captain Stone. At first things look good, Stone sees Merriam as a younger version of himself and Merriam sees Stone as the first adult to ever treat him as a friend. But after a couple strange deaths of crew members, Merriam begins to think Stone is a psychopathic madman obsessed with authority. He tries to tell others, but no one believes him, and it only makes Stone angry.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Maybe, but the memories of my disappointment are still too fresh.

OK. It's my fault for thinking this was going to be something it wasn't - a horror movie about a ship with ghosts or something. Sue me. I don't know where I would have gotten that idea. It was late at night, cocktail in hand, and I was jonesin' for an old fashioned creepy horror flick and this one screamed out to me. Produced by the great Val Lewton, a film maker known for moody, atmospheric horror, I was primed and ready.

A horror this is not but a good thriller it is. Good performances, great atmosphere and some surprising deaths (not to mention the quick 69 minute run time) make this a better than average affair for its day. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gotten the silly notion in my head that this was something that it clearly wasn't. Stupid long island ice teas.

No comments:

Post a Comment