Sunday, August 8, 2010

Donnie Brasco (1997)


Director: Mike Newell

Starring: Al Pacino & Johnny Depp

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: In 1978, the US government waged a war against organized crime. One man was left behind the lines.

Plot: An FBI undercover agent infilitrates the mob and finds himself identifying more with the mafia life to the expense of his regular one.






My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Yes, because...well, you'll see.

I remember seeing this one shortly after it's theatrical release. I liked it then. It's been sitting in my stack of nearly 200 movies (that I've watched in the past couple of years and haven't written about yet) for over a year. I've forgotten much about it...but I liked it then.

After having gone through all six seasons of THE SOPRANOS and a bunch of mob films in the past dozen years, it loses some of its appeal. You just can't compete with THE SOPRANOS since it spent something like 86 (almost) one hour episodes dealing with the goings-on in the mafia. Having said that, DB is still a much better-than-average mob film with some great performances. It de-glamorizes the underworld crime scene and makes it feel more like a bunch of regular guys but on the other side of the law. I'll certainly watch it again. I'm sure I'll like it then, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment