Sunday, August 8, 2010

Super Troopers (2001)


Director: Jay Chandrasekhar

Starring: Jay Chandrasekhar, a bunch of people I've never heard of, Brian Cox and LYNDA CARTER!!!

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Altered State Police

Plot: Five Vermont state troopers, avid pranksters with a knack for screwing up, try to save their jobs and out-do the local police department by solving a crime.



My Rating: 6/10

Would I watch it again? Reefer would help.

While it's not the home run so many people had led me to believe for nearly 9 years, it is better than I would have thought. Some gags just didn't do it for me like the one that opens the film with the 3 twenty-something males thinking the state trooper behind them is going to pull them over so they get the guy in the backseat to eat a bag of weed and some mushrooms, getting rid of the evidence. Naturally the coppers speed past them after he does. That gag is as old as I am and what they added to it didn't make me laugh.

BUT, and this is a HUGE but, the cast is very likable and funny, especially Chandrasekhar. This guy's a scream. I very much dug the camaraderie they had. I could see watching this again but I really think I would need some of that weed or some mushrooms to help me through the slow bits. I get the feeling this might get funnier with multiple viewings. I'm just not sure how much I'm willing to test that theory. I must say, though, that it was fantastic seeing THE Brian Cox do comedy. It's really worth watching just for him...AND THE FUCKING UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-SHE-LOOKS-THAT-INCREDIBLE LYNDA CARTER! WTF? Yeah, she plays the governor and she's just as smokin' hot as she was 25 years earlier when she was on the minds of every young boy as TVs WONDER WOMAN. That was a lovely surprise.

Despite some of the sluggishness, I really love the cast and how well they worked together and I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of their Broken Lizard films. Gee, I'm just torn between which one...BEERFEST, CLUB DREAD or THE SLAMMIN' SALMON?

No comments:

Post a Comment