Saturday, August 21, 2010

After Hours (1985)


Director: Martin Scorsese

Starring: Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Teri "YUMMY" Garr, Dick Miller, Catherine O'Hara, Linda Fiorentino, Cheech & Chong, John Heard, Verna Bloom

More info: IMDB

Tagline: What is the very worst night you ever had...?

Plot: An ordinary word processor has the worst night of his life after he agrees to visit a girl in Soho whom he met that evening at a coffee shop.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? It could happen

I can't believe it's taken me 25 years to get around to watching this Scorsese picture, one of my all-time favorite directors!

This is a strange movie, particularly for Scorsese. It's a dark comedy, it's a drama, it's a thriller. At times you're not sure what it is. But, with likable characters and actors, it's worth seeing. It walks a fine line at times from being extremely dark to being an out and out screwball comedy. With the right editing and music you could easily turn this either way. Oddly, I'd like to see both of those edits because I get the sneaking suspicion that either, or both, would be more fun. AFTER HOURS is a strange, curious animal.

OK, I just watched the trailer (it's been a few months since I saw the film) and I want to watch it again BUT I know it's not the outrageous laughfest the trailer lets on. It's MUCH darker than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment