Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hardware Wars (1978)


Director: Ernie Fosselius

Starring: Lots of people we just don' t know

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: A Spectacular Space Saga of of Romance, Rebellion, and Household Appliances.

Plot: A parody of Star Wars, presented in the form of a movie preview. Young Fluke Starbucker, under the tutelage of Auggie "Ben" Doggie, learns to master the power of the Farce, while teaming up with Ham Salad to rescue Princess Anne-Droid and aid her fight against the evil Empire.



My Rating: 8/10

Would I watch it again? As sure as I'm proud to be old Obi Wan Kenobi!


Man, this takes me back to my childhood in the late 70s when I was consumed with anything and everything STAR WARS. I first caught this around that time on HBO when they used to show short films between movies. They wouldn't announce when a particular short would air. You just had to happen upon it. I waited...and waited. A VCR in my household was still a few years away at that time.

Funny, funny shit. Paul Frees' narration is classic. LOVE that man's voice. "You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye!" Great stuff!


Fluke: Jeepers! What is it, Auggie Ben Doggie? Did you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?
Auggie: No, just a little headache.

Priceless!

There's so much to like from the cheesy special effects to the goofy looks on the actors' faces.


The DVD has some cool extras but the entire thing (including the film) adds up to less than an hour. If you're a huge original SW nerd like me and you see it for ten bucks, grab it. It's great to toss on at a party of like minded people.

"Planet Basketball is a peaceful planet." Ahahahahahaha. Yeah. Watch the whole 13 minute short here...



No comments:

Post a Comment