Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jake Johannsen: I Love You (2010)


Director: Emery Emery

Starring: Jake Johannsen

More Info: IMDB

Plot: Jake Johannsen -- who has appeared on "The Late Show with David Letterman" more times than any other stand-up comedian -- offers his quirky perspective on taxes, relationships, fatherhood and more in this hilarious performance. Topics include Johannsen's story of falling in love and getting married, his theory that taxes are a ruse to imprison everyone and the things his 5-year-old daughter knows that bewilder him.



My Rating: 8/10

Would I watch it again? Yes, but there's no need to.

It was more than twenty years ago that I came across Johannsen doing his routine on Letterman. I was hooked. I loved his style and sense of humor. I identified with it. Hell, I even started to work his style into my own, like when I had to give presentations in my college classes. I got huge laughs. It was a cross between him and Woody Allen.

I've never missed an opportunity to see him on TV yet I've never seen him live. I suppose if I had seen an advert for him playing a gig close by I would have jumped on the tickets. It's great to see him still working and still funny. And if you haven't seen comedy documentary, THE ARISTOCRATS (2005), you need to. He's hilarious as are the other 99 comedians.


No comments:

Post a Comment