Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)


Director: Val Guest

Starring: Brian Donlevy, Jack Warner, Margia Dean

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Beware of "THE CREEPING UNKNOWN!"

Plot: A missile, launched by the team led by Prof. Quatermass, lands in the English countryside. Of the three members of the crew, two have mysteriously disappeared. The third one, barely alive, undergoes an horrible metamorphosis turning into a monstrous "thing". When he breaks out and, chased in vain by inspector Lomax, starts killing humans and animals to feed his transformation, Quatermass realizes that this is the way chosen by an alien form of life to invade the Earth.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah. It's not a bad way to kill 78 minutes.

Brian Donlevy just doesn't work for me in these Hammer sci-fi flicks. I'm sure he's great in film noirs but in sci-fi, I don't think so. Maybe it's his heavy American accent in a sea of Brits or maybe he's just not that great of an actor. Combination of both I suppose. TQX is a fun little flick with a good story, mostly good performances, great James Bernard score and good special effects.


No comments:

Post a Comment