Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Last House on Dead End Street (1977)




Director: Roger Watkins

Starring: Roger Watkins

More info: IMDb

Tagline: You bet your ass this is for real!

Plot: After being released from prison, a young gangster with a chip on his shoulder decides to punish society by making snuff films.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.


The first time I watched this (earlier this year) it was late and I'm sure I dozed off once or twice. It's an easy film to do that in. But there was something about it that compelled me to go back to it a second time a few days later. Immediately after that, I listened to the commentary track by the director. Very interesting stuff. It's a disjointed film to say the least. It's very much one that was cobbled together from at least two projects.





Does it work? That's debatable. Is the result what the director intended? Sort of. It feels to me like an unintentionally interesting movie. I'm not convinced this is the film he set out to make but the result is up there on the screen for you to judge for yourself. The music choices and sound are several notches above what you would normally get on a no budget project like this. The sound/music is the best and most effective part and at times it's downright creepy.




There's enough gore and nudity to keep the die hard horror fans happy but it can be slow. This is not something you start watching at 2 am. Even at 78 minutes it can be trying to get through but I think it's worth the effort. TLHODES is not your typical 70s horror film which says a lot. It's definitely worth a look but only for horror fans or those who dig no/low budget independent films.

No comments:

Post a Comment