Saturday, November 20, 2010

Journey Into Amazing Caves (2001)




Director: Stephen Judson

Starring: Nancy Holler Aulenbach

More info: IMDb

Tagline: No light. No air. No room for error.

Plot: Meet Dr. Hazel Barton and Nancy Aulenbach. These women are compelled to push their limits in hostile environments. They are cavers who risk fatal danger for the thrill of discovery. Barton and Aulenbach are extreme athletes and extreme scientists - scientists who gather their data in treacherous places where few dare to follow. In Journey Into Amazing Caves they travel to caves in Arizona, Greenland and Mexico searching for discoveries that may lead to cures for human disease.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Once was fine.

I caught this on Netflix instant view. As you would expect, the photography is jaw-dropping. I wish I lived near a proper IMAX screen that showed these things. There is one here but they play two films - one is on the history of flight (that plays all...year...long) and then the second film plays for six months at a time. Not much variety. CAVES would be far better if the whole thing didn't feel like it was made for 4th graders. I understand these are being used for educational purposes but you can still make an engaging film/documentary that speaks to everyone.



Anyway, the photography is absolutely amazing - especially the trip on the underground river. I want one of those in my backyard. I hate where I live. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment