Saturday, November 20, 2010

Edge of Darkness (2010)




Director: Martin Campbell

Starring: Mel Gibson, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston, Bojana Novakovic

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Some secrets take us to the edge

Plot: As homicide detective Thomas Craven investigates the death of his activist daughter, he uncovers not only her secret life, but a corporate cover-up and government collusion that attracts an agent tasked with cleaning up the evidence.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Sometimes all I ask for is a simple ass-kicking revenge flick. I thought that's what I was going to get. That's my fault, I suppose. A lot of people said this had Mel in rare badass form. Not so much. I was hoping for a more...uh...edgier performance but it was more anemic than I anticipated. I like him as an actor despite his real-life nutter behavior but this flick didn't do much for me. The best part of the flick was Winstone. I want to see this guy headline a good badass, no punches pulled movie.


For the most part EDGE just sat there on the edge of being something better, something grittier, something harsh, cruel, mean and hateful. I never saw that film. Instead it just kept on going like a standard detective film ending peacefully without anything new or interesting to say. Yawnsville, Baby! I would've preferred a movie that felt like a balloon was being blown up and you kept anticipating it to pop until it eventually would. What I got was someone who blew that balloon up until they couldn't take it and then chickened out, letting it loose to fly around the room for a couple of seconds before landing on the floor. "What the hell did you do that for?". That's no fun. We get those kind of films all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment