Saturday, November 27, 2010

From Hell (2001)


Directors: Albert & Allen Hughes

Starring: Johnny Depp, Heather Graham, Ian Holm, Robbie Coltrane, Ian Richardson, Jason Flemyng

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Only the legend will survive.

Plot: Johnny Depp stars as an opium-huffing inspector from Scotland Yard who falls for one of Jack the Ripper's prostitute targets.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? I'm sorry I watched it this time.

Yawn. I realize this was adapted from a graphic novel/comic book, but still. A drug addicted inspector that has psychic visions of the murders? Whatever. Depp is fine in the role but his character has moments of the ridiculous. Coltrane, as the police Sergeant, is played as a total cliche. The Hughes brothers telegraph well in advance which girl is going to get it next and at least one was a complete bitch so you wanted her to go. I could go on. It's too cliched and dull for me to find much of any interest. I remember the first time I saw it I watched the documentary on The Ripper that came with the DVD. That was far more interesting than the film. I'll assume the story works much better on the page than the screen. I don't want to assume but it just has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment