Saturday, November 27, 2010

Creepshow (1982)



Director: George A. Romero

Starring: Hal Holbrook, Adrienne Barbeau, Leslie Nielsen, E.G. Marshall, Ed Harris, Ted Danson, Stephen King, Tom Atkins, Tom Savini

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Most Fun You'll Ever Have... BEING SCARED!

Plot: Five tales of terror are presented. The first deals with a demented old man returning from the grave to get the Father's Day cake his murdering daughter never gave him. The second is about a not-too-bright farmer discovering a meteor that turns everything into plant-life. The third is about a vengeful husband burying his wife and her lover up to their necks on the beach. The fourth is about a creature that resides in a crate under the steps of a college. The final story is about an ultra-rich businessman who gets his comeuppance from cockroaches.


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably in another 20 years.

#218 on Drive-In Delirium Volume 2 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

There's something to be said about the fallibility of memory. Before last year, it'd been probably 20 something years since I saw it last and I've always had fond memories of it. I was in my teens and this was one of those fantastic films of that era. Not so much now, sadly. For the most part, I like the stories, the final one with the roaches being my favorite. There are two MAJOR problems: at 120 minutes, it's about a half hour too long. Some of these stories shouldn't have been more than about 17 minutes long. The other problem is having Stephen King playing the lead in one. If it weren't so damn slapsticky, stereotypically Southern silly it would have been a good, fun story. It's the long-ass run time that really hurts it for me. The pisser is by the time they get to the final and best tale, I'm ready to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment