Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wrong Turn (2003)




Director: Rob Schmidt

Starring: Desmond Harington, Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Jeremy Sisto, Kevin Zegers, Lindy Booth, Julian Richings, Gary Robbins, Ted Clark

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It's the last one you'll ever take.

Plot: Six people find themselves trapped in the woods of West Virginia, hunted down by "cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through generations of in-breeding."



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

The best thing about this picture is Desmond Harrington (as Chris); you know, Quinn from DEXTER. I love his character on that show and this is the only other thing I've seen him in and he's great. I really dig how his initial interaction with one of the locals shows how good of a person he is. He comes across as a genuinely nice guy but the stereotypical fucked up inbred local can't see anything past him being an outsider and he isn't welcome. Chris is nothing but courteous and polite. Dushku and her character, Jessie, on the other hand is annoying as the badass type. She struts around with that 'hero' walk, you know the one where the actor works the shoulders to make it look like they're really tough and they have something to prove. I hate that shit.


WRONG TURN isn't offering anything new to the genre of backwoods horror but it does have fun with it. Again, I have to bitch about yet another movie where the antagonists are deformed inbred rednecks that are so over the top they're cartoon characters. And their home is a museum of weird and disgusting shit. Besides of me getting sick of this type of villain, even though they're deformed and mentally boneheads, they're usually incredibly skilled in killing, fighting, surviving and eluding the authorities. You can't have it both ways. Oh, wait, maybe you can. This country is loaded with stupid as fuck politicians that have no business being in public office yet they make it there somehow. That still doesn't change the fact that Eliza Dushku annoyed me in this picture and I wished her a grisly death. I can dream, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment