Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)




Director: Martin Brest

Starring: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Lisa Eilbacher, Ronny Cox, Jamse Russo, Steven Berkoff

More info: IMDb

Tagline: In Detroit a cop learns to take the heat. In L.A. he learns to keep his cool.

Plot: A freewheeling Detroit cop pursuing a murder investigation finds himself dealing with the very different culture of Beverly Hills.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah, in another 20 years.

I haven't seen this in nearly 25 years. That was a blast from the past. One thing I really like about this picture is that it finds a great balance between comedy, action and drama - it doesn't go too far in any one direction or go over the top. Murphy's laugh should've been used more sparingly but, other than that, he makes a great lead and does a fun job of carrying the picture but not without the help of some good character actor work. Ronny Cox is great and it's nice to see cops not portrayed as complete idiots. Reinhold's character comes close but when it comes down to it, he's a solid cop. Damon Wayans cameo as the banana man about had me in tears. Damn, that dude was funny on IN LIVING COLOR. Fun flick. I've yet to see any of the sequels. I'm almost afraid to from what I've heard.




No comments:

Post a Comment