Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Galaxy Quest (1999)


Director: Dean Parisot

Starring: Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and look quick for Raine "Dwight Schrute" Wilson

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: The show has been cancelled...but the adventure is just beginning.

Plot: The alumni cast of a cult space TV show have to play their roles as the real thing when an alien race needs their help.



My Rating: 8/10

Would I watch it again? Has Tim Allen's career dried up as much as Phillis Diller's cooze?

I had forgotten how good this was since I first saw this years ago on laser disc. It's loads of fun and very clever. I'm not a huge STAR TREK fan but I loved the original series and I've seen the movies. That's it. Of all of the spinoff series, I've only watched the pilots of TNG and DSN. There may be some gags and in-jokes that I'm missing but I don't think so. It's a hoot to watch regardless. It's filled with great, fun performances and Allen was a perfect choice for the role of the Shatner-esque conceited actor/TV show lead. There've been rumors of a sequel that have been bandied about for years but it's probably unlikely that will happen. It's not really needed. Everything was tidied up at the end. But it would be nice to have these actors back for more because their ensemble chemistry was too much fun not to want more.

1 comment: