Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)


Director: W.D. Richter

Starring: Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, Clancy Brown, Vincent Schiavelli

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Beings from Another Dimension have invaded your world.

Plot: Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon/comic-book-hero/samurai/ etc who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures from the 8th dimension
(all named John) who are trying to conquer our dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his late wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they are from Jamaica.



My Rating: 6/10

Would I watch it again? Maybe in another twenty years or so

I haven't seen this since the 80s. I remember liking it OK back then and I still have the same feelings about it. I especially like the bizarre, quirky, unorthodox route that the film takes. The characters are outrageous and often funny. But after a while the film starts to lose steam and it feels like it goes on too long. It's a very special kind of film with some truly wacky, crazy shit going on and it's easy to see why it has such rabid fans. While I dug it, it's not as consistent as it needs to be to sustain its 103 minute run time.

BigbooTAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment